QPR Board – have the lessons been learnt or are all decisions short-term?

QPR1st supporters’ trust hopes the sacking of head coach Chris Ramsey and the reported new ambition for promotion does not mark a return to short-term, incoherent decision-making at the club.

Supporters were told the club was aiming for stability and a period of rebuilding. Now we are advised that, because we did not sell three players as had been expected, the target is now to be promotion contenders.

Club co-chairman Tony Fernandes has repeatedly said that lessons have been learnt by the board. Yet the most important lesson is that short-term decision-making does not work. Since 2011 we have had four managers, a succession of over-paid poorly performing players, ballooning debts and two relegations from the Premier League. The stated aim of gaining stability and rebuilding in the Championship lasted less than 12 weeks into the season.

We hope the club will have a considered process for appointing a new head coach/manager – conducted without tweets giving a commentary that appears to undermine the professionalism of the process.

The club needs someone with some experience and who is able to develop, with the Director of Football, a clear, achievable and financially sound plan for developing the team in the coming years

But, his work will be impossible if the leadership of the club itself fundamentally changes its priorities with the regularity of a weathervane.

We would like to hear from the club a realistic plan for development.

We wish Chris Ramsey well for the future; he had a difficult job to do as chief coach of a club facing relegation, and changing priorities. And, of course, we wish Neil Warnock well on the pitch in the next few months.

Posted in All News

RIP Brian Lomax

It was with sadness that we learnt today of the death of Brian Lomax a founding father of the Supporters Trust Movement. Brian provided significant support and assistance to QPR1st during its formation and particularly in its early years and some will remember him speaking at the Hammersmith town hall meeting in April 2002.

Supporters Direct have issued the following:

We are deeply saddened to hear that Brian Lomax OBE has passed away this morning.

Brian was the inspiration behind the Supporters’ Trust movement through his work at Northampton Town in the early 1990’s, becoming the first supporter elected director of a football club after the supporters and community rallied round to save the club in 1992.

This pioneering approach led to the Football Task Force report in 1999 recommending the widespread establishment of Supporters’ Trusts to replicate this work. Brian was instrumental in the formation of Supporters Direct for this purpose and was appointed our first Managing Director. He would later become Chair of the organisation.

In both positions and throughout SD’s existence, Brian’s skills, experience and warmth have been at the heart of our movement, and in him, we had our truly inspirational founding father.

His role in changing the way football is run was recognised with an OBE for services to the game in the same year as he stepped down as Chair, 2009.

Despite all these accolades anyone who knew Brian will remember him above all as being a kind, humble and caring man. His life touched and inspired many people, and his legacy will live on.

RIP Brian

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/nov/02/brian-lomax-death-supporters-direct-northampton-town?CMP=share_btn_tw

Posted in All News, Community, QPR1st

Pub information for Brentford Game

The information below has been provided by the Football Officer for Brentford in relation to Friday nights game.

O’Riordans:- Will accept both home and away fans. They are open for business as usual during and post match.

New Inn:- Entry with a valid match ticket only for either the home or away end. 1930 hours the bar will be shutting to football fans, post match entrance into the pub will be Friday night regulars only

Globe:- The pub will accept both home and away fans, the bar will be open throughout the game and will accept fans from both sides post match

Griffin:- Entry into the pub with a valid match ticket for either home or away end. 1930 hours the bar will be shutting to football fans, post match entrance into the pub will be Friday night regulars only

Lord Nelson:- Will accept both sets of fans, the bar will be open throughout the game and will accept fans from both sides post match

Beehive:- Will accept both sets of fans pre match, at 1930 they will be shutting to football fans, post match will be entrance to Friday night regulars

Princess Royal:- They will accept both sets of fans, the bar will be open throughout the game and will accept anyone post match.

Posted in Community, QPR1st

Twentys Plenty

QPR and Bolton supporters came together before Saturday’s game at Loftus Road to back the Football Supporters’ Federation “Twenty’s Plenty” weekend of action calling for lower ticket prices.

DSC_0010

The banner was also displayed inside the ground at the front of the South Africa Road stand at half-time.

Supporters brought banners to all Premier League and most Championship games at the weekend in an unprecedented national campaign.

Pictured outside the entrance to the ground are members of QPR1st, the LSA and some Bolton fans displaying the banner.

Twenty’s Plenty aims to reduce costs for travelling supporters, in order to make football more affordable and acknowledge the huge, positive impact away fans have on the game. The FSF also argues for lower Home tickets too. 

The FSF will be publishing pictures from around the grounds on its website shortly.

 More information is on:

http://www.fsf.org.uk/latest-news/view/nationwide-twentys-plenty

Posted in Community, QPR1st

Consultation Committee minutes

Stephen Dedridge and Neil Jackson from QPR1st Supporters Trust were invited to attend the first meeting of a Fans Consultation Committee. The meeting seemed to be very positive and constructive and we hope sets the tone for future meetings.

Click here to view meeting minutes Consultation-Committee-10th-September-2015

Posted in All News, QPR1st

Twenty’s Plenty Weekend of Action

The Football Supporters’ Federation “Twenty’s Plenty” weekend of action calling for lower ticket prices, takes place on Saturday and Sunday with activity at games throughout the leagues.

 And we will be able to get behind the banner of the campaign before the Bolton game.  QPR and Bolton supporters can gather behind the banner for a photo-opportunity on South Africa Road about 2.15 – 2.30.

 Banners will be on display at all Premier League and most Championship games.

 FSF Chief Executive Kevin Miles said: “Over the past 25 years money has flowed into football enriching players, owners, executives and agents – we think it’s about time fans saw some of the benefits too.

 “Twenty’s Plenty for Away Tickets aims to reduce costs for travelling supporters, in order to make football more affordable and acknowledge the huge, positive impact away fans have on the game. We think home tickets are often too expensive as well, but the current focus is on away tickets as there is currently more chance of league-wide action on this.”

 More information is on:

http://www.fsf.org.uk/latest-news/view/nationwide-twentys-plenty

Posted in All News, QPR1st

Fan coalition backs Information Commissioner’s demand to publish full terms of Olympic Stadium deal

Supporters’ trusts’ campaign results in successful Freedom of Information request

A coalition of 14 supporters’ trusts – including QPR1st – seeking clarity on the Olympic Stadium deal with West Ham United FC have called on London Mayor Boris Johnson and the London Legacy Development Corporation (LLDC) to ensure the full publication of the commercial terms of the contract after a positive response from the Information Commissioner.

 The Information Commissioner has responded to a complaint lodged by the group under the Freedom of Information Act, ordering full publication of the commercial terms of the agreement, as requested by the coalition, within 35 days from the decision notice date of September 3rd.

The LLDC has 28 days in which to lodge an appeal but the coalition of groups has called on Boris Johnson, as head of the LLDC to waive that right, saying:

 “The Information Commissioner’s decision could not have been clearer, and it is equally clear to us that publication must follow. This campaign is publicly backed by 25,000 individuals, football supporters’ trusts from around the country, and the public interest in the issue is there for all to see.

 “We call on the mayor not to use the appeal system to delay publication of this document further. If he does it will open him up to the suspicion that he has something to hide.

 “This is an issue about the use of public money to, apparently, subsidise a commercial football business. It seems the taxpayer will be paying the cost of a series of overheads which every other club, rightly, has to pay for themselves. It is important that the taxpayer is allowed to know exactly what has gone on here, and to judge whether it is a responsible and fair use of public money.”

At the Mayor’s Question Time at the City Hall (16 September) questions have been tabled on the issue by Andrew Dismore, Labour & Cooperative London Assembly member.

The issue is covered in The guardian here: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/sep/15/west-ham-details-olympic-stadium-deal

Posted in Community, QPR1st

Ron Springett R.I.P

Ron Springett passed away on the 12th September following a short illness. We join the club in offering our condolences to his family.

Ron had 2 spells as QPR goalkeeper either side of his time at Sheffield Wednesday. After retiring from Football Ron ran a sports shop on the Uxbridge Road for a number of years. Like his brother Peter he will be fondly remembered by the QPR community.

Posted in All News

Warren Farm still progessing according to Lee Hoos

At a meeting on Thursday Lee Hoos confirmed that the club is still intending to push ahead with plans for a new training complex at Warren Farm and that rumours that the club was dropping the project were untrue.

Posted in Community, QPR1st

Government response to Olympic Stadium Petition

Government response to Olympic Stadium petition “wholly inadequate”, say supporters’ group

The Government’s response to calls for a public inquiry into the deal between the London Legacy Development Corporation and West Ham United for the rental of the Olympic Stadium has been condemned as “wholly inadequate” by a coalition of 14 football Supporters’ Trusts. The coalition had set up a petition on the UK Government website, calling for a public inquiry into the terms of the deal.

The petition reached the 10,000 signatures required for a government response within 24 hours. That response, belatedly issued yesterday, rejected the call for an inquiry, and it was immediately condemned by the supporters’ coalition.

“This statement only recycles arguments we have previously heard from the London Legacy Development Corporation and West Ham United,” said the coalition. “The facts we have uncovered need to be addressed by the Government. This statement ignores them. It is wholly inadequate.”

“The Government claims the contract has been widely scrutinised. Yet the taxpayer continues to be denied sight of it. The Government speaks of ‘profits’ flowing to the taxpayer, yet we have shown that no profit comes from West Ham’s rental because  matchday overheads normally paid by clubs are in this case paid by the taxpayer.”

The Information Commissioner has still to rule on whether the rental agreement cannot be released to the public because it is “commercially sensitive”. The coalition has sent detailed submissions to the ICO which challenge the assertion that disclosure of the contract would cause commercial damage.

“We are currently obtaining professional verification of new information which appears to cast further doubt on the value of the deal for the taxpayer,” said the coalition. “As soon as we are confident  of the facts and their implications we will make a further announcement. It would surely be in the Government’s interest to release the entire contract. If it continues to fall to concerned citizens to uncover the facts, drip by drip, the impression of a cover-up will grow.”

 If you haven’t yet completed the petition you can do so here

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/106355

Posted in All News, Community, QPR1st

Join QPR1st for £5

Membership in the name of
Members email address

Partners



Archives